The Kestrel Companion application is the perfect complement to your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics for remote viewing of your shooting solution.
Now, you can mount your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics on a rotating weather-vane mount, update the range to target, and view the solution right on your phone – all without touching the Kestrel itself. The large display on your phone or tablet allows a quick view of the elevation and windage holds as well as the current weather conditions and gun parameters.
By placing the Kestrel in wind-capture mode, your shooting solution will automatically update on the display with the measured wind values and wind direction.
How it Works
As of the Kestrel firmware version 4.83, the developers at Applied Ballistics have added remote-control capability over the Bluetooth link. This allows for the range to target to be entered into the Kestrel Companion application and sent directly to the Kestrel. The Kestrel instantly computes the shooting solution and sends it back to the Companion application – displaying it for easy viewing.
- Maximize the capability of your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter by allowing it to directly measure the wind speed and direction and still easily view your shooting solution
- Remote control of your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter over the Bluetooth Link
- View your shooting solution on a large Android screen.
Enabling Live Wind Capture
- From the solution screen on your Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter, pressing the button while Wind is highlighted will enter the Wind Capture mode.
- The label will change to to indicate that the Wind Capture mode is enabled.
- The moving 5-second average for windage and wind speed will be continually displayed on the wind line.
- The 5-second rolling average wind measurement will be captured in Wind Speed 1 and the highest wind speed will be captured in Wind Speed 2. This allows you to accurately bracket the wind speed values as well as your shooting solution.
- When in Wind Capture Mode and connected to the Kestrel Companion application, your windage holds will automatically update on your Android device.
Updating your firmware to version 4.83 (Note: AllKestrel.com Applied Ballistics Meters arrive already updated to Version 4.83)
Update your Kestrel with Applied Ballistics to Version 4.83, | Download PDF
Applied Ballistics Firmware Upgrade (4.83) for Bluetooth, | Download ZIP
Applied Ballistics Firmware Upgrade (4.83) for Non-Bluetooth, | Download ZIP